Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Predicting Amusement

Give me a standard-sized keyboard and I can touch type quickly and efficiently. However, on a phone keyboard my fat fingers have me stumbling all over the tiny keys. I type J instead of H and q instead of w.

Enter predictive text, where your device suggests logical next words . It's great and convenient when it works. But sometimes my brain has trouble evaluating the recommended words at the bottom of the screen and I click the wrong one. Then I have to go back and correct the mistake, which makes the typing take even longer. Or I don't see that I chose an incorrect word and send out something wrong.

 Today while I was waiting for the laundry to finish in the dryer I saw this silly meme

I decided to give it a try. I experimented with both my phone and my iPad to come up with

  • Kathy as the host yet
  • Keep at the house you
  • Karma and the horses you
  • Kathy and the house you

The answers were more nonsensical than wacky. Pretty much the story of most of my predictive text fails.

Five years ago: In The Zone

7 comments: