Wednesday, April 5, 2023

More Than Just A People Mover

When my alarm went off this morning it was cloudy. An hour later the sky turned black and it rained intensely for ten minutes. According to my weather app, the next few hours had a good chance of being more of the same.

On Wednesday mornings I stop at the grocery store just down the road from the church (a local chain called Dierbergs) for ingredients before heading there to prepare the staff lunch. Knowing that there would be a decent chance I would get rained on, I modified my plans and headed to the Dierbergs closest to my house which has a parking garage tucked underneath the building. 

I usually choose surface parking at this store because I can get in and out faster, but during inclement weather it's nice to have an option. 

I parked my car close to the door, walked into the foyer, and rode the escalator up to the store. When I shop at this Dierbergs I'm usually only picking up a few things and don't use a cart. Today I grabbed one from the row and headed into the store.

I had purchased some of the ingredients on Monday, so today it only took me 20 minutes to pick up a box of pasta, two loaves of garlic bread, and a package of brownies for today's menu of mac and cheese, pulled pork, roasted green beans, garlic bread, brownies, and carrot bread (like zucchini bread but with carrots). I also added a gallon of milk for the pastor and a couple of things the associate priest requested.

Except for the gallon of milk my items all fit into one bag. I could have easily ditched the basket and carried everything, but I decided to try using the dedicated grocery cart escalator next to the human version, something I had never done before. There were too many people around for me to video my experience, but it was pretty much like this one:

Five years ago today: "Dog" Detox

18 comments:

  1. I've never heard about let alone seen one of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding!?! I thought you knew everything electronic. It's the Des Peres location, if you're ever in the area and want to take a look.

      Delete
  2. Interesting! I don't think I have ever seen one of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't before I started shopping at this store.

      Delete
  3. My, what a fancy grocery store! An escalator for the shopping cart! Never seen such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed that you've never run into something like this during your time in San Francisco.

      Delete
  4. I've never seen one of those grocery cart escalators. But things are pretty flat in my part of Kansas. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This store isn't on much of a hill, but I guess there's enough.

      Delete
  5. Now that is reason enough to take the great grands there to see this contraption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I told Mike, it's the Des Peres location on Manchester Road. Would be interested to know what they thought.

      Delete
  6. I'd love to have a grocery store nearby with covered parking, both for when it's raining and for when it snows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is our go-to store for both of those conditions.

      Delete
  7. I know I have never seen a shopping cart escalator and I am pretty sure I have never been to a store with underground parking. I am not living my best life apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen one of these around our City... nor underground Parking for a Grocer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This store is built on more of an incline than a hill, but I guess there's enough to have tucked a garage underneath.

      Delete