Sunday, April 2, 2023

Oversoon

Today Son Brian made another trip around the sun.

Since he lives halfway across the country it was hard for Hubby Tony and I to know what type of birthday present to get him. After discussing the matter we decided to make his gift something edible. After all, who doesn't like food?

I would have liked to have sent something homemade, but in the end there wasn't time to pick out a recipe/make it/wrap the item securely so it wouldn't get banged around in the box/find a box to mail it in/get the box to the post office.

I did some research and chose a couple of options from a mail order food company. Tony made the final selection from my list, and I did the ordering. When it came time to choose a delivery date the company offered a range of dates for free shipping. I didn't care for the range, so I paid extra to have the package delivered on a specific date.

Needless to say I was not happy to receive an email three days before my selected date that the package had been delivered. 

I went to the company website to get contact information so I could lodge a complaint, and eventually I found a phone number. The automated system told me "all representatives were busy" because "they were experiencing a higher volume of calls than normal" (which seems to be the stock statement every company uses), but they offered the option to leave my number and have someone call me back.I took them up on their offer.

Fifteen minutes later I was speaking with a sweet-voiced representative. I explained the situation, and she quickly said she would credit my delivery fee. She also asked if I would like an apology note sent to Brian. That wasn't an option that would have occurred to me, but I thought it was a nice thing to do. Before she ended the call, the representative asked if I would like to order anything from their catalog and save 20%. She didn't seem particularly surprised when I told her I wouldn't.

Five years ago: Is It April Or December?

19 comments:

  1. I love that they at least returned the delivery charge. Yes, I get that too when I call. Seems to be everywhere these days. Happy Birthday to your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giving me the money I paid for something that didn't happen seems like the least they could do.

      Delete
    2. Very true. I love when companies go beyond that and offer the item free. We had a standing freezer delivered here and it was damaged. We ended up getting it free. We had it for awhile during Covid and just last week a friend came to get it for his house. Just don't need it anymore. Now it lives in a home that will use it.

      Delete
  2. That sounds suspiciously like what I experienced last Fall with Harry & David. All was resolved, but not without much frustration. Happy Birthday to your Brian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to hear that I'm not the only one.

      Delete
  3. She thought she had you in her grip. A refund AND an apology note? And THEN you didn't buy more stuff? OMG!!! 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad it came early, maybe better than late? Happy birthday to Brian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, early is better than late. But I paid money to insure that didn't happen.

      Delete
  5. Although I don't know where you ordered from (physical location), I do know that delivery of anything from anywhere has been weird as of late with all the storms we are having. Some things I've ordered through Target came earlier than they said it would, others have been days late due to trying to get the merchandise across the Rockies during a snow storm. One item I ordered that came from Mexico actually came days earlier than an item I ordered that was shipped from Nevada. Right now I'm giving lots of grace to deliveries of any sort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing out an issue that hadn't occurred to me.

      Delete
  6. Good that you got your money back without having to make a big fuss!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to your son! The fact is one cannot trust any kind of service, these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, at least the Company tried to do you Right and the Rep was Sweet and not Surly... just the fact you got a real Human is impressive. *LOL* Happy Birthday to your Son... I never know what to get any of the Adult Kiddos and Adult Grands so I just send Cash, always the Right Size and Color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it's rare to get a human representative, and a pleasant one made the experience so much nicer.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday and best wishes to you all.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete