Wednesday, April 12, 2023

A Healthy Way To Eat

Do you know about the Harvard Diet (also known as Healthy Eating Plate)? The plan says that at each meal:
  • Half of the plate should be vegetables and fruits, with a greater emphasis on veggies.(Potatoes don’t count as vegetables on this plan.)
  • A quarter of the plate should be whole grains, like whole wheat, brown rice, barley, oatmeal, quinoa, and foods made with them.
  • A quarter of the plate should be protein...fish, poultry, beans, and nuts. Eat limited amounts of red meat, and avoid processed meats such as bacon and sausage.
  • Limit dairy beverages to one or two servings a day, and have only one small glass of juice. Otherwise, drink water, tea, or coffee (and stay away from sugary beverages).
  • Have moderate amounts of healthy fats (olive, canola, soy, peanut, corn, or sunflower oil) and avoid trans fats.

 Five years ago: Don't Do It

14 comments:

  1. I have heard of this, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great plan, actually sticking to it will be the real challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy I read your blog on a regular basis, finding it through Kathy G's blog roll. I don't have a Google account so can't reply, but I want you to know I am cheering for you and your dogs and hoping everyone, including you, gets back to good health and can enjoy the upcoming summer in your new home.

      Delete
  3. Well that is another reason I wouldn't get into Harvard. I am really bad about getting my veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to not be a fan of vegetables. However, now I can't imagine not eating them on a regular basis.

      Delete
  4. A little more difficult in the winte, but this is how we do like to eat in the months when fresh fruits and vegetables are easy to find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could live on veggies and fruits, but sugar trips me up every time I try to be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a horrible problem with sugar. Once I start eating it I can't stop.

      Delete
  6. That is a great guide to healthy eating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a plant head so when I cook, most of it is plants! Though for me, I do count potatoes as a veg. I get that they don't.

    ReplyDelete