Sunday, April 25, 2021

A Belated Earth Day Bargain

The large closet just outside the hall bathroom is filled with a collection of linens, extra toiletries, bathroom supplies, first aid items, and medicines. When we moved in I quickly tried to arrange things in a logical order, then moved on to the next project. The arrangement wasn't that great to start with, and after more than a year things were a mess.

I decided to tackle organizing the two shelves that held the non-linen items, thinking that shoebox-sized plastic containers would be good for holding different categories of items. I looked in the storage unit for something the correct size and came up empty handed. I'm trying to limit the amount of plastic I bring into the house, so I started looking for containers at thrift stores. That way I would be recycling instead of buying new.

For a couple of weeks I popped into stores when I had time, but always walked out empty handed. Yesterday I drove by a place that's going out of business. There was a sign by the door that indicated they were only going to be open one more week and everything was 75% off. I figured there wouldn't be much left.

The clothing racks were pretty empty, but in the back of the store I struck pay dirt. There was an entire shelf of plastic storage containers, and four of them were the size and shape I was looking for. None matched exactly, but that was alright by me. The cashier rang up my purchases, then applied the discount code. My total was a whopping 55 cents...a win for both the environment and my budget.


 Five years ago today: Undoing

11 comments:

  1. Congrats for finding what you need! The containers seem just the right solution for your storage project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After my closet rearrangement I have to agree with you-it was a great solution.

      Delete
  2. Wow! That WAS a deal. I used to teach a class on recycling and making teacher created materials. Enjoy the beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chesterfield Mall used to have a Teacher Recycling store. Although I'm not a teacher I used to enjoy looking around to see what they had.

      Delete
  3. I love those containers. I have a storage unit full of these, a few empty, but most filled with Christmas decor and my 25 years worth of journals. You got a super good deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plastic may have its faults, but you can't beat it for sturdiness.

      Delete
  4. Great find! Your closet arrangement sounds just like the one at the end of my hallway. Right now I'm repurposing an old roasting pan and loaf pans to hold my 'stuff.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing how creative we can be when we have to?

      Delete
  5. how great you found plastic containers you looking for dear Kathy

    you contributed your support to make our dear planet healthier place :)
    blessings and est wishes for your future plans for arranging your stuff !

    ReplyDelete
  6. forgot to say Happy earth day !

    ReplyDelete