Wednesday, April 28, 2021

April Showers Bring Puddles

Early this morning a front came through, bringing rain with it. It was lightly drizzling when I left the house this morning. In the car, I heard the radio meteorologist say the pace of the rain was going to pick up. Based on his forecast I put my umbrella in my purse and carried it into my first stop. When I came out an hour later it was raining cats and dogs. I opened my umbrella and hustled across the parking lot but I was still pretty wet by the time I got into my car, and my tennis shoes were soaked from stepping in a puddle.

At home I put both my umbrella and shoes by the door to dry, and went about my day. Hours later I was trying to figure out how I was going to get my steps in and realized the rain had stopped. A quick check of the weather app on my phone told me it wouldn't start again for a couple of hours. That would be more than enough time for a walk.

My shoes were still wet, but it was warm enough I could wear sandals. Hubby Tony decided to walk with me. We rambled around the neighborhood streets and had a nice talk along the way. On this route there are a couple of places where the sidewalk is crooked and the low areas have puddles after any type of precipitation. Today was no exception. I tried to skirt around the edge of the first puddle. I misjudged, and the toes on my left foot ended up getting wet. The water was warm, and it felt good!

From that point on I actively searched out puddles to walk through. By the time I got home there were pieces of grass, tree catkins, and a little mud stuck to my toes and sandals. Nothing that a little soap (and a little more water) couldn't take care of.

Five years ago today: Oops!

22 comments:

  1. Every time you start talking about the weather I think 'It was just like that where I'm at!'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about get a step counter again yesterday. But then got befuddled by the choices and gave up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just use the installed Health app on my iPhone.

      Delete
  3. Great idea, it is tough to get mud out of shoe soles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ruined my running shoes on the weekend by wearing them as I gardened. The skies opened and I didn't make the time to put on a different pair. They are rock solid now and covered in mud. You were very wise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You surprise me ... you said, "it was raining cats and dogs". I thought this was an English expression. Didn't realise you said it too in America. I wonder how many other sayings we share.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I didn't know you used the phrase on the other side of the pond.

      Delete
  6. I love it! It's probably been 65 years since I went splish-splashing through rain puddles ... forgotten pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I'll remember how much fun I had the next time I'm tempted to wear tennis shoes after a rain storm?

      Delete
  7. It is a rainy day here in toronto. i am lazy to go for a walk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bindu, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I struggle with laziness on a regular basis...then Hubby makes me feel guilty.

      Delete
  8. I wish it was warm enough here in the UK to wear sandals, not that I own any but still. We've had a very dry month but freezing cold.

    And yes raining cats and dogs is a British saying. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided a week or so ago I was done with winter. Fortunately winter agreed with me :-)

      Delete
  9. I was anticipating rain. But, alas, none!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing's worse than getting excited about something which doesn't come through.

      Delete
  10. I used to take my students outsiode and sing-song, We are puddle jumpers splish splish SPLASH! and of course we landed in the puddles. Life's little moments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was some storm! It started through here about 11 pm and still is sprinkling going on 8 tonight. Twenty four hours of rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had about 18 hours of precipitation, but it took another 6 hours for the clouds to roll away.

      Delete