Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Confusion Leads To Custard

This afternoon Hubby Tony had an oral surgery appointment. Back when he scheduled it Tony thought he was going to need a ride home, and I blocked out the time to be his chauffeur. A couple of days ago he learned the surgeon would be using Novocaine and he would be able to drive himself. I briefly thought about staying home, but when I couldn't find anything compelling that needed to be done I decided to go along for moral support.

The procedure was scheduled to take one hour. My plan was to drop Tony off, then get my steps. After a rainy morning my phone app said there was a break in the precipitation, but I brought my umbrella just in case. Before I left I Googled the office address to find out what there was to do around the immediate area.  Other than a grocery store, a couple of chain stores, and a boatload of fast food places there wasn't much, but the area has a lot of interesting architecture which is always interesting to look at.

The surgeon's office was in a small shopping center at the intersection of two major streets in South St. Louis, about 20 minutes away from our place. I went up to the surgeon's office on the second floor of a professional building with Tony, wished him good luck, then spent some time browsing through the center's stores on my way out to the street.

I had a destination in mind for my walk, but I'm not extremely familiar with the area and turned left when I should have gone straight. When I realized my mistake I wasn't too upset, because I wasn't too far from the iconic Ted Drewes frozen custard. Of course I would have to stop!

On nights and weekends Ted Drewes is extremely busy. Today there were very short lines at each of the three open stations, and there were partitions between them to help with social distancing. I passed on a signature concrete, which is a serving of frozen custard so thick that it doesn't fall out when the cup is turned upside-down. Instead, I ordered a scoop in a cone, which would be easier to eat while I walked.

My trip was a little less than a mile each way, which hopefully used up quite a few of the calories I consumed.

Not the greatest perspective...the cone was not as big as it looks!

Five years ago: Cake Pan Purging

16 comments:

  1. Yummy! Glad this worked out so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything happened the way it was supposed to :-)

      Delete
  2. You sound like me. I used to walk Francis Park which is close to Ted Drewes, and then I would reward myself with amini concrete. They have the very best hot fudge I have ever eaten ifyou are a chocolate fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in Francis Park for the first time last fall. What a beautiful area! I've had hot fudge on a concrete and, yes, it is to die for.

      Delete
  3. You beat me to Ted Drews for the first time this season! But then I don't go there THAT often. So when I do I get a LARGE cone. I made the mistake of stopping there one time before a doctor appointment. The doc decided to do blood tests. My triglyceride's were over 400. I went back later for a retest and they were normal. I never told him what I knew since he surprised me with the test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad about the need for a second doctor's visit. I bet you learned your lesson and did not stop for a cone afterwards.

      Delete
  4. Hopefully, Tony's appointment went well. You did the right thing to accompany him to the doctor. You certainly deserved the treat with the calories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, the surgery seemed to go well.

      Delete
  5. Wht a great treat, and good news that all went well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the difference between frozen custard and ice cream? We don't have it over here.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frozen custard is richer (contains egg yolks), and it's churned so that it's very dense

      Delete
  7. That is a beautiful cone. I see you had a lick around already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no!! One must always have a Fox!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never met a concrete I didn't like there, but the cone was much easier to eat while navigating the sidewalk along Chippewa.

      Delete