Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Thought You Could Hide?

When I bought my laptop computer several years ago Windows 10 came pre-installed. I was familiar with the operating system from using it on my desktop system, but there were a couple of strange differences between the two I had trouble figuring out.

An example-for the past five years, one of my volunteer activities has been making slides to highlight things that are going on around my church. They run on electronic bulletin boards (large TV monitors) in the vestibule and multi-purpose building. I've gotten pretty good at putting slides together using the desktop and the Paint program.

When I looked for the program on the laptop I couldn't find it anywhere. Instead, there was something called Paint 3D. Its claim to fame was that you could create projects with 3D capabilities. I played around with the program a little bit, and it was very interesting, but in my mind it was a poor substitute for the program I knew backwards and forwards.

One night I was sitting in the family room with my laptop and needed a clip art for a blog post. I got fed up with what Paint 3D wouldn't do, and started searching the internet looking for a solution. When I found that the classic Paint was still there (and just hidden) I was so excited!

Now when I need to insert an image in a post from my laptop, I just need to type Paint in the search box on the taskbar, and then select it from the list of results.


Five years ago today: A "Snow Day" In July

16 comments:

  1. WHAT? The old Paint is still there? I wish I could find mine. Paint 3D is so confusing. I prefer the older version but I was told it got wiped out when we changed Windows - I think we're on Windows 10 now; or a later version perhaps.

    Can you please let us know where you found the old Paint? Thanx.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the same reaction I had when I learned that Microsoft had been holding out on me.

      It's ridiculously easy once you know, and the information is in the last paragraph (and screenshot) of the post. Type "Paint" in the bar at the bottom where it says Type here to search. The app will pop up as an option. Click on it and you're on your way!

      Delete
    2. IT WORKS !!! IT WORKS !!! You're a genius. Thanx.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. I discovered classic paint, too. I have yet to figure out how to get the paint icon to my home screen, and not type paint into the dialog box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you figure it out let me know, and I will do the same. I figure the typing inconvenience is a small price to pay

      Delete
  3. I still cry tears over the loss of Windows Movie Maker. Best program ever and they shelved it. For what reason, I don't know. Another favorite, Picasa, I was able to set up on this computer, even though its history too and now unsupported. Glad you found classic Paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The history of computers (and programs) is very interesting. Probably most about money than anything else.

      Delete
  4. I get so irked with Windows 10! Ugh. I used to be a web developer and yet Windows nowadays just sets me on edge. I actually had to ask my son today where to find the search thingy in the start window, he said just type, I'm like WHERE?! He finally convinced me to just type and it showed up. Arrrrg. Could they not just have left the text box down there in the first place? LOL! Geesh, technology huh! I couldn't find Paint in the beginning either... when I did I pinned it in my start menu so I could find it without digging way down in the bowels of my computer. Oiy. Glad you found it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinned it to the start menu, eh? Will have to look into that next time I'm using my laptop.

      Delete
  5. Kathy, your comment about ME changing something got me to thinking. The one thing I have changed is a new computer with an upgraded operating system. So, I'm writing this on my old MacBook Pro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on figuring out a work-around!

      Delete