Friday, July 17, 2020

Just Me, Myself, And I

After much deliberation, about safety, Hubby Tony left last night for a silent retreat at a nearby Jesuit retreat center. He will be back Sunday after lunch.

Tony has been going to this center with the same group of men for several years, and says he comes away refreshed and revitalized. And a silent retreat, by definition, doesn't involve a lot of people contact. At this one they offer presentations by the retreat director and a lot of time for reflection, along with mass and Catholic rituals. Tony told me that it sounded like the center was taking good actions to allow for social distancing, including capping attendance at 50%, requiring masks, checking temperatures before people could enter the building, and discontinuing the family-style serving in the dining room.

This is the first time I've been alone in the condo for an extended period of time since we moved in. It was a strange feeling to wake up this morning and know that no one would know or care what I did or how I did it. My day was pretty filled up...after breakfast I took a walk, then showered and attended a Zoom meeting. In the afternoon I met with a woman to go over some writing she had done, then left for a Census enumerating job that should have taken four hours. However, I arrived at the facility (a university housing complex) just as the skies opened up and a deluge fell out.

I sat in my car and exchanged texts with my supervisor, who was sitting in her car on the other side of the parking lot. After an hour the weather radar app showed that there was still a lot of rain coming through, and she decided we were done for the day. And, because of a heat advisory forecast for tomorrow she cancelled that shift too. The work will still be waiting on Monday, but all of a sudden my weekend was free.

What should I do tomorrow? What a nice problem to have.

Five years ago today: Happy Halfy

7 comments:

  1. I love that, when hubby goes shopping or something. He kinda follows me around the house. If I go outside to sit in the pool, he comes and sits. I think he is worried!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back before everything shut down I had a lot more time by myself. Since March when Tony started working from home we've kind of been joined at the hip.

      Delete
  2. Yes, one of us has gone bak to work in this house, but the other two are here full time and such a difference. In the normal times we would have meetings (at different times), different commitments and social engagements and volunteering. Now? Nada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure a lot of people can say the same thing.

      Delete