Friday, October 11, 2019

Polite, Pleasant, Personable

My large collection of houseplants has been summering outside,  but cold weather is around the corner and they'll all have to come inside. This year I decided to reduce the size of the collection and posted a message offering a group of them on the free section of Craigslist.

Within two minutes of finalizing my post I got the first response, and ten others came in before I could log back into my account and delete it. Most of the responses got right to the point, asking some variation of Are the plants still available? A couple of people also added when they'd be able to pick them up. I wanted the plants gone, so I offered the lot to the first responder. However, shortly after that I received this email:
Good evening!

I just saw your post for the houseplants. If they are still available, I would love to have all of them. I grew up with my grandmother who always had plants, mostly aloe, spider plants, Christmas cacti, and a couple of African violets. Anyway, I have become more interested in plants in recent years and in fact am in a botany class now at the community college.

Thank you for your time and consideration! Have a great night!
The message was so personal and polite I was disappointed I had already made arrangements. I answered the message, saying:
The plants are already spoken for, but I will keep your name in case they don't show up. Also, I may have more in a couple of weeks, if you'd like me to let you know.
I quickly got another response:
Thank you so much for letting me know. I'm always looking for plants, so yes, please keep me in mind for more, if you can. Thanks again, and have a great night!
When I did come up with more plants to get rid of I contacted the polite woman directly.  She seemed thrilled to accept my discards, and stopped by my house on her way to work. I watched as she carefully arranged the pots in the trunk of her car, then as she waved at me as she drove away.

Five years ago today: Two Words

14 comments:

  1. Awwww... This is so lovely. What a nice feeling to make someone happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a real win-win situation. I got rid of things I didn't want, and someone ended up with a treasure :-)

      Delete
  2. Isn't this just a lovely way to interact? So civilized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world can certainly use all the civility it can get.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, what a beautiful encounter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole thing left me with a good feeling.

      Delete
  4. Wow I wonder what her garden looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I lived closer and had seen your ad, I would have been right on it trying to get them before anyone else! I absolutely LIVE for plants and gardening, inside AND out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I would have definitely given them to you! Most of what I gave away was divisions of plants I've had for a long time...the boys brought home spider plantlets stuck into a styrofoam cup decades ago. They've grown and reproduced ever since then.

      Delete