Tuesday, October 15, 2019

He Done Her Wrong

I was reminded by Vintage St. Louis that on this day in 1899:
"Frankie Baker shot Albert Britt to death after an argument over another woman at 212 Targee Street in St. Louis. Frankie pleaded self-defense and was acquitted. Pianist Bill Dooley wrote a song about the murder called “Frankie and Albert.” Over the years, it got changed to “Frankie and Johnny.” When the story became a motion picture, Baker sued. The court found that it was considered a folk song, and ruled against her. Baker died in a Portland mental institution in 1950."
Wikipedia told me that there have been multiple songs written about the event, and at least 256 recordings have been made since the early 20th century. There have been big band, pop, country, and jazz versions, but this is one of my favorites


Five years ago today: Senior Citizen Texting Code

12 comments:

  1. nice to know the story behind this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I was not familiar with his version of the song until I started searching around the internet.

      Delete
  3. Yes, nice to know the back story. I Love that song!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Is this a story that you were familiar with on your side of the pond?

      Delete
    2. I'd never heard of the story personally. But I remember Jerry Lee Lewis.

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I didn't know you could add emojis to comments! Off to figure out how to do it...

      Delete
    2. Right click with your mouse🖱! 👀

      Delete