Saturday, September 23, 2017

Food Court Goodness

Tonight Hubby Tony got together with his group of Guy friends for a night of poker playing.   I was all set to go with him and hang out with the Dolls (wives), who had their own plans, but at the last minute a horrible headache made me decide to stay home.

I knew that the women were going to be enjoying Chinese carryout food, followed by apple pie and ice cream for dessert, but now I was on my own. None of the healthy options in the refrigerator appealed, and I decided to get some carryout food. What, though?  We have a Chinese place just a half mile away, but if I drove a little further I could choose from hamburgers, pizza, sub sandwiches, Mexican, or Middle Eastern. I left the house not knowing where I was going, but before I got out of the subdivision I had an inspiration.  I headed in the direction of Costco.

I shop at Costco several times a month, but for the longest time I ignored the food court located just past the cash registers on the way to the exit. Eventually I tried it out, and now I'm a fan.  The prices are cheap (a hot dog and soda for $1.50, or piece of pizza for $1.99). However, my new favorite is the Chicken Caesar salad-a huge bowl of lettuce, juicy strips of chicken, cherry tomatoes, grated Parmesan cheese, croutons, and a container of Caesar dressing for $3.99.

The salad has enough high-calorie items that it can't be considered a health food, but it's a nice treat.  When I got home with my food I dumped the ingredients from the plastic carryout container into a large metal bowl, tossed them with the dressing, then poured myself a large glass of ice water and sat down to enjoy my meal.  And ate the whole thing.


Five years ago today: We Did It!

8 comments:

  1. Back when I had no stomach problems and could eat what I wanted, it was a treat to stop into Costco's food court for a hot dog after shopping. I remember them being the best hot dogs in town and unlimited refills on the sodas. I imagine the hot dogs are still the best, but I doubt sodas are unlimited these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you can still drink as much soda as you want :-)

      Delete
  2. It doesn't look bad, I should try that sometime. We usually get the hotdogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm.....both you an Shirley are fans of the hot dogs. I'll have to try one some time. The price certainly is right!

      Delete
  3. It’s a good salad! Here,Costco has a combo deal where you get the salad and a whole one topping pizza at a really good price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, THAT would be a treat! I've never seen that deal here, though.

      Delete
  4. I only buy cat food at Costco, the kirkland purple bag dry, as it seems decent and an affordable way to feed the hordes here. So I go about once a month, thanks to a brother who gets me the membership as my Christmas present. I always hit the food court. Usually its their fruit smoothie, in the summer, or a piece of pizza. It's so affordable and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the fruit smoothie is too sweet. However, the frozen yogurt is good. TOO good. And the portion is huge!

      Delete