Sunday, September 23, 2012

We Did It!


Yesterday was the 10k event that Hubby Tony and I have been working towards for months.  I'm happy  to say we started (and more importantly, finished!) in fine fashion.

We got into Columbia for dinner on Friday night, socialized with Son Brian and DIL Nicole, then turned in early because we had to be up long before the sun came up. Before I went to bed I got help from Nicole to made sure the race bib was attached to my shirt securely and the timing chip was on my shoe correctly.  One less unfamiliar thing to do in the morning!

It was still dark when we left for the race, but there was a little sunlight peeking over the horizon as we parked the car.  The half-marathon started 30 minutes before our 10k.  We watched the runners line up, and when the starting gun sounded the large group slowly worked its way towards the starting line, then disappeared into the distance.  Before I knew it they'd called for our group to line up. It was exciting standing in the middle of the pack, and when the gun went off I was more than ready.

Our goal was to walk at a 15 minute per mile pace (which meant we'd finish the 6.2 miles in a little over 90 minutes), but we'd never managed to do that on our practice walks. However, having other people around helped. We walked briskly, and even jogged a little, and come in right where we planned.

The day turned out so well we're already talking about next year.

10 comments:

  1. WTG!!!!! Bravo to you and Tony!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! You both have so much to be proud of. I'll be doing the 8 mile Aloha Run/Walk in February. I'll have to train for that too. You are an inspiration for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here walks come in the 1, 5, and 10-kilometer variety (so the longest is a bit over six miles). Then they jump up to the half-marathon. I'm not ready for that 13 mile commitment; eight miles would be nice.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! A huge congratulations to both you and Tony! As I read your post I felt as though I was right there with you... hmmm I might have to give one of these marathons a try one day. You are very inspirational, I'm not sure if I'll ever actually do this, but you've planted the seed.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You COULD do it! It sounds intimidating, but you get ready for it one day at a time.

      Delete
  4. congrats, well done, didn't realize you had to keep up a certain pace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pace we chose was self-imposed. I didn't want to be the last person crossing the finish line!

      Delete
  5. Well done, good job. You did it for yourselves and got a lovely medal for it, too.

    ReplyDelete