Friday, September 16, 2016

Scrub Away

I usually wash the ceramic-tiled kitchen floor with a solution of vinegar water, but the past few times I've done it it still hasn't looked clean. I told myself 'in the fall' I would give it the thorough cleaning it deserved.  Yesterday wasn't exactly fall-like (with temperatures in the mid-80s we're still running the air conditioner) but I couldn't stand it any more and declared it was Tile Cleaning Day.

Last week when I was at the hardware store I looked into buying commercial tile cleaner, but they cost more than I wanted to spend. After a little internet research I made my own solution, which worked great.  It used 1/2 cup of washing soda (a new-to-me ingredient, which wikipedia told me could be used to remove grease, oil, and wine stains), 1/2 cup of vinegar, 1 tablespoon of liquid dish detergent, and 2 gallons of water.
Dirty vs clean.  What a difference!

Because we have a large kitchen with attached laundry room, the job took me most of the afternoon. I sloshed the solution on one small section of floor at a time, let it set for a few minutes, then came back and rubbed each tile vigorously with a rag. I rinsed the section, and rinsed it again.  Since the floor was so dirty there was a lot of crud to rinse off, and the water quickly got dirty. I changed the water in the bucket on a regular basis, but not often enough; when the tile dried there was still a film of soap. After dinner Hubby Tony helped out and mopped the floor with vinegar water, which took care of it.

Five years ago today: Without A Paddle

14 comments:

  1. I have a friend who had put in ceramic tile throughout the bottom floor of her house. She loved it for a couple of years then started complaining she couldn't get it clean. She even hired people to come in and clean it. Last month she had it all pulled out and put in some of type of flooring that looks like wood in the family room/kitchen/luandry and went back to carpet in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. If I'd known what a difference it would make I might have tackled the job sooner.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I have achy muscles is a couple of different places today. I figure they either came from my trip to the gym or my cleaning job. I KNOW where the sore knees came from.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if this solution would work on my vinyl floor? I'm sure it would.
    I have scrubbed and scrubbed and it still isn't clean.
    It's always nice to get someone else's advice and experience. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Great job. What a difference. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a linoleum floor and it never seems to look as clean as I might want it to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These jobs are no fun but boy it sure feels good when they are finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do. I've been enjoying the clean kitchen floor each time I walk into the room.

      Delete