Thursday, August 14, 2014

Remodeling Season

It's remodeling season at the mall.

All summer they've been working on patching and replacing the sidewalks.  A crew has been on the roof doing something with the air conditioners.  For a couple of weeks different areas of the parking lots and garage have been roped off with yellow tape every day, and I had to be observant so I could  zig and zag around them.

There are changes going on inside, too.  One store is being remodeled.  Another is being rebranded with a new concept by the same corporate owner.  Two storefronts are being built out for new stores, and the management office has announced there are more changes to come.  (They didn't come out and say it, but I suspect everything will be done before the holiday shopping season--the main event for retailers--begins.)

All these changes have led to some grumpy customers who don't like change and expect 'their' store to be there.  They come to the Customer Service desk to vent; we have a list of alternate places they can find what they're looking for so we can send them in the right direction.  There's never a dull day at the mall!

Five years ago today: Birds of Prey

14 comments:

  1. Change is hard...I usually don't like it either! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A whole new "destination" shopping complex is being built up around my stodgy old bank and its stodgy old building--and it's getting a facelift, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope there's something in there that you need.

      Delete
  3. even changes made 5 years ago still seem new to me! Until they start making more changes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've talked to a lot of people who feel the same way you do :-)

      Delete
  4. I was on campus earlier this week for a job interview and noticed all of the construction going on before school starts. It kind of made me feel grumpy because it slowed me down. So I totally get how the mall customers must feel. Things are different, and while some changes may be better, you still miss the old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me wonder what's going on over at our regional mall. I was there, but only outside, a few weeks ago, to go to Sephora. The biggest change on the outside was the Michael Kors store that opened after Christmas last year. Maybe after school starts, I'll take a walk through the mall. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you did walk inside you could call it exercise instead of shopping :-)

      Delete
  6. How wonderful that stores are expanding, rebranding and remodeling rather than shutting down and leaving empty spaces in the mall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be fascinating seeing the changes around you and customer's reactions. You could write a book or a sitcom actually. It could be called, The Mall. Bet it would be good too! Personally. I love it when new shops come to my local Mall. You get sick of seeing the same things all the time. Well I do anyway.

    ReplyDelete