Tuesday, November 6, 2012

I Can Get Used To It

Change is always hard.

About a month ago I tried to turn on my computer in the kitchen, and nothing happened. We took it to Bill, our computer guy; his diagnosis was a dead mother board. The computer had been built quite a few years ago (although we'd had it updated and refurbished a couple of times).  In computer terms it was geriatric, and the Windows software was several generations behind, so we decided to get a new computer.

Bill ordered the parts and built the tower for us.  He brought it to the house over the weekend and set it up.  I'm still trying to get used to it.

I was very familiar with the old programs.  The departed computer had the XP versions of Word, Excel, and Outlook. The new system has Office 2010.  My laptop has 2007 versions of some of the software, so I'm not completely unfamiliar with it, but the new Microsoft Outlook is messing with my mind!

The files from the old computer all got transferred but some of the programs did not   Every day I look for something I need and it's not there.  I've already added iTunes and a couple of time-wasting games, but the Quicken and photo software is still MIA.  I'm sure I'll find more.

Learning new things can be stressful, but I'm confident that I'll master this!

6 comments:

  1. We just use our notebook computers these days, a lot of my friends use Ipads! Good luck with all this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used an iPad, but I much prefer a real keyboard to a touchscreen.

      Delete
  2. Oh my!.....I have been through this....good luck.....smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy when I returned from Australia I also needed a new computer, my son built me one and it was about half the price of one of the big brand names. One of the good things about getting a computer built is when a part goes you don't have to pay the big name prices to get it replaced. In no time at all you'll have your new computer all sorted out and know exactly where everything is, or isn't. All the best with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had a store-bought computer for decades.

      Delete
  4. This is why I love apple. That said, though, I did have to update my OS awhile back so as to keep my email account. Also had to update my iPhone at the same time. It took an adjustment, but the Apple geniuses are so good to help one get through anything. Also, I lost all my Adobe software in the update, but a lovely blogging friend works for Adobe and was able to get me a family & friends discount. I was ever so grateful.

    My next purchase is definitely be an iPad. My computer needs are getting smaller & smaller.

    ReplyDelete