Thursday, November 29, 2012

Modestly

My area isn't exactly a melting pot, but it's not unusual to see Muslim women wearing modest dress and covering their hair with a hijab.  Usually when I see them they're shopping or running errands, but today on my way to work I saw a young Muslim woman literally running--jogging down the street.

I was getting ready to leave my subdivision, but I had to wait for several cars to pass by before I could make my turn.  While I waited I noticed the woman on the sidewalk on the other side of the street. Her outfit of a long black skirt, plain black headscarf, and navy hoodie didn't look particularly conducive to her type of exercise, but she was plugging along at a moderate pace covered up from head to toe.

Her skirt was flapping against her ankles as she ran, but it didn't look like she minded.  She was headed in the opposite direction as me, so I lost sight of her after I turned, but based on her rate of speed when she passed me it looked like she was in pretty good shape.  I suspect she kept on going.

10 comments:

  1. I was pleased when the IOC ruled to allow modest uniforms for the Games. Perhaps we'll be seeing more women particapating in athletic activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember correctly, though, some of the women weren't dressed modestly enough to satisfy the authorities in their home countries.

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is interesting. I don't understand how anyone could jog covered like that, but then again I'm no expert.

    Have a wonderful weekend Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the weather is cooler for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can't imagine doing it during the heat of the summer!

      Delete
  4. The very diverse high school where I taught had Muslim girls on sports teams and they always wore their own clothing. Being California, I think we have much more lenient rules about such things. One of my students played tennis, and just like the women of the late 1800s, she wore her long skirt. She was a very good player. And a wonderful student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the weather's nice here I see students from the nearby high school out walking for PE class. There is always a large handful of girls wearing hijabs. Diversity is wonderful!

      Delete
  5. Funny, but I thought I'd written a comment here yesterday. Where is my brain? I remember thinking that it would be difficult to live in Hawaii and wear the hijab and modest clothing. Then again the Hawaiian women were made to wear long muumuus that covered their arms all the way to their wrist and down to their ankles and up to their necks by the Christian missionaries so I guess you could. It sure would be uncomfortable for me though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was a conservative Christian school I remember one of the schools I taught at in StL playing basketball against years ago. The girls from the Christian school all wore really long skirts and long sleeves. I didn't think it would be comfortable or conducive to their type of exercise, but they did ok - lost, but were able to move about better than I thought they would.

    ReplyDelete