Thursday, August 16, 2012

Fit Sitting

From my perch at the mall Customer Service desk I see a lot of strange and interesting things. Today I was minding my own business when out of the corner of my eye I noticed some movement in the seating area closest to me. When I took a closer look, I noticed an older man sitting in a chair doing his exercises.  I couldn't help surreptitiously glancing over his way every few seconds, but he seemed to be in his own world and oblivious to what was going on around him.  Each exercise lasted between 20 and 30 seconds.  His routine:

  • Flinging his arms back at the same time
  • Making "typing" motions with his fingers
  • Pressing the palms of his hands together
  • Massaging the back of his neck
  • Doing bicep curls one arm at a time

At this point he looked over, saw me, and came over to ask me where the Starbucks was.  Satisfied, he went back and sat down.  I thought he might be finished, but after a few minutes he...

  • Massaged his shins (one at a time) from knee to ankle
  • Massaged his legs (one at a time) from knee to mid-thigh
  • Stretched his spine by leaning back, hands behind head
  • Leaning his ear towards his shoulder on both sides
  • Massaging the sides of his ears

Then he must have been done, because he sat, arms folded, looking at his watch every few minutes until a woman (who I assume it was his wife) came out of the store.  They both left, and the show was over.

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like my kind of exercise. Perhaps he could start a class for people like me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Multiple people at the mall doing synchronized chair exercises...THAT would be something to see!

      Delete
  2. My oh my. How did you not laugh! Those are some very curious exercises indeed. lol....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like this fellow knows how to keep busy and you entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amusing (to onlookers) way to pass the time.

    ReplyDelete