Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial

Today, of course, is Memorial Day in the United States. A day to remember those who have served in the military and given their lives for us.

It’s a Federal holiday, so most people are off work. Not me, though. The mall was open normal hours so I had to work my regular five-hour Monday shift.  Most years I don't give more than a token thought to the meaning behind Memorial Day (isn’t that sad?), but because I was being compelled to work I kept thinking about it and wondering what I could do to commemorate it.

Traffic was very light this morning and I got to the mall with 20 minutes to spare. I used that time to drive to a nearby Walgreens, where I bought a small American flag. At the Customer Service desk I struck the flag in a basket of green plants. I guess it wasn't too visible, because no one commented on it, but every time I looked over there it reminded me of the importance of the day.

3 comments:

  1. Too bad you had to work today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And since you did, thank you for the flag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you had to work, but it was great of you to celebrate and pay tribute in a beautiful way.

    ReplyDelete