Monday, May 4, 2009

House Wrecker

Today as I was trimming a greatly-overgrown barberry in the front yard I revealed this:

Because of my work, the nest was now completely exposed to the elements. I felt horrible! Some bird spent a lot of time constructing its nest in a sheltered location, and I go and mess everything up. The nest was a work of art; perfectly symmetrical, built on a frame of sticks, lined with soft material, and ready for eggs.

How long does it take a bird to make a new nest?

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I'm not sure how long it takes for a bird to make a new nest. That's a good looking one though. Maybe put some nest-building components in your yard for birds? I always put the dryer lint bin contents out in the backyard for bird's nests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea! I usually just throw the lint in the compost pile, but I'll leave the next batch in an inconspicuous place on the front porch and send some good karma the bird's way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully they can make a quick one. The lint should help.

    ReplyDelete