Monday, September 29, 2014

Internationally

Last month I had to figure out how to switch the Customer Service Desk computer's Google home page back to English after a store employee accessed her email in Hebrew.  Today another employee from the same store asked me if she could fax something (which we routinely do for mall employees and customers.) The twist was that it was going to an overseas number.

First I had to verify with the mall office that I was allowed to make an international call.  Then I had to figure out how to do it.   A quick Internet search led me to the website HowtoCallAbroad.com, which told me:
For calls to most countries dial the following: 011 + country code + phone number. For calls to countries within the North American Numbering Plan dial: 1 + area code + 7 digit local number, same as dialing a US state to state call .
The employee knew the country code, so once I found out the procedure it was a simple task to send the fax.  I like figure out new things, so I was happy to do it for her, but she was so appreciative it made the task even more enjoyable.

4 comments:

  1. good for you Kathy, I must say I am intimidated by new things...eventually I get them done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, the more things I challenge myself with the easier it gets to step out of the comfort zone.

      Delete
  2. Good for you for figuring out how to send that fax. The internet has improved life in a lot of ways even though it's messed us up in a lot of others. I remember spending half an hour trying to call home from the Yucatan with my calling card. When I finally got through my son acted like I'd just called from the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete