Sunday, February 9, 2014

It's Amazing What Happens When You Stop Looking

I've had my black wool dress coat for quite a few years. It's shin length, with a large hood that frames my face when it's pulled up.  I thought about getting a new coat this winter, but I only dress up a couple of times a year; even when the stores started running 50% off coat sales I couldn't justify the cost.  I resigned myself to keeping the old coat.

Today I walked into the Goodwill store closest to my house to look for a blanket for my bed. Immediately to the right of the door there was a display rack of coats.  The first one on the rack was a classic double-breasted wool camel hair, with a notched collar and center back vent which looked like it had never been worn. Amazingly, it was my size!

Of course I bought it.  When I got home I removed the black one from the closet, folded it, and put it in the Goodwill pile.  Hopefully it will be the perfect coat for someone else.



Five years ago today: Remembrance

14 comments:

  1. Well now, didn't that work out perfectly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! And perfect charitable synchronicity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure it didn't get many wearings before it was donated

      Delete
  4. That's perfect and it looks warm. You didn't want to keep both, hunh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And wear each one once a season? Not enough room in the closet for that :-)

      Delete
  5. Now that's the way to shop! I love Goodwill for items which I know I'll rarely wear, generally my clothes get recycled there as well and this spring, time permitting I'll be doing a run to this store.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I need clothes I usually shop at Goodwill (or another thrift store) first, before I head to a retail store.

      Delete