Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Wildwood Walk

It's been rainy here for the last week.  I was planning on going to the gym after work, but when I left for the day the sun was peeking out of the clouds.  Thoughts of walking on a treadmill within a artificially-lit building flew out the window. I did NOT want to be inside!

Before I left the parking lot I tried to think of outdoor places I could walk.  Many of the park trails I use aren't paved, so they'd be a muddy mess (and not worth it).  Then I remembered the asphalt trail I'd seen paralleling Manchester Road in Wildwood, a city several miles west of where I was.  I decided to try it out.

When we moved to the city of Manchester 25 years ago the area that's now Wildwood was predominantly farm land.  Now there's quite a bit of development, but they've made an effort to keep the green space, too.  I wasn't sure where the trail started, but when I saw a black pedestrian bridge over Manchester I knew I was close.  I parked the car in a far corner of a strip mall lot, found the trail, and headed west.

The trail was a ribbon of asphalt with not much shade.  It would be hot in the summer, but today it was perfect.  The sun was in and out of the clouds. A stiff breeze was blowing, which created extra resistance for my exercise.  At first I was walking at street level, but eventually the trail sloped up an incline so the trail looked down on the road.  There were a couple of streets that intersected the trail, but there was no traffic at any of them so I didn't have to stop.  The side of the trail contained the normal roadside and field weeds, but in the distance I saw manicured lawns and dogwoods blooming.  Even the critters seemed to be enjoying the nice weather.  I spied butterflies flitting among the spring blooms, and a single deer in a clearing.

I walked about a mile and a half, then turned around and backtracked to the starting point.  At one spot on the way back no one else was around to see, so I stopped and leaned against a pole to do some triceps presses and a few leg stretches before I continued.  That way I could say I did all my exercise, not just the aerobic part.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for getting some exercise in. I need to follow your example. Happy spring to you. Sounds like the weather is warming up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you to be outside and enjoying some fresh air. It sounds like a wonderful walk. Spring has arrived in your part of the world!

    ReplyDelete