Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Harmonious


The Palette Generator from Big Huge Labs is coming in handy for an upcoming redecorating project.

You upload a photo and a palette of colors based on the colors in the photo is automatically generated. If you're so inclined, you can download the color swatches to use for computer-based applications.

My "inspiration piece" was a poster of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. I laid the framed poster on the floor in the living room and took a snapshot of it. The picture has a substantial amount of warm colors in it, so I was surprised by the preponderance of subdued cool colors in the palette that got generated.

However, between these ideas and the paint chips I got at the hardware store, I should be able to figure the project out.

3 comments:

  1. The cool colors are from the waterfall and shadows on the stonework. The lighter, warmer colors are from the sunny stone areas. The darkest are from the most shaded areas in the picture.
    Now I'm interested in the paint chip colors and wondering what room(s) you'll be redecorating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I wish I would have known about this last fall when we did a big remodel. Good luck with the project.

    ReplyDelete