Monday, July 31, 2023

Immersion Activity

The past few weeks the two priests at the church I cook at have been away quite a bit, so by mutual agreement I haven't gone to prepare dinner on Monday nights. As much as I enjoy my cooking gig, it's been nice to have a lazier start to the week. I've used the extra time to try out some interesting activities, including today's Deep Water aerobics class at the gym. 

(This was actually the second time I signed up for the class; last week there was a fire drill that cut it short, but I got enough of a taste to know I enjoyed it.)

In deep water aerobics, you put on a flotation belt and jump into the deep section of the pool where your feet can't touch the bottom. The theory is that exercising in the deep water provides more resistance and makes the exercises more challenging.

By the time the class started there were about 20 people in the pool. The group was mainly women. All attendees appeared to be in their 60s or older. The instructor stood on the side of the pool and led us through a short warm up before the aerobic part started.

The first class had followed more of an interval training format-one exercise done for a short period of time followed by a rest before the next one started. Today was more of a 'dance' format. Before each song the instructor would quickly go over the moves and then start the music. The moves were repeated multiple times during each song.

With both formats, the institutor may have been able to see the times I couldn't exactly follow the directions, but because my entire body was under water no one else could. I just tried to work hard and not run into other people.

Today's playlist was mainly from the 1970s and 80s. The most memorable song had also been the post game victory locker room song for the St. Louis Blues hockey team in 2019. It was also the victory anthem after they won the first Stanley Cup in their 52-year team history.

 Five years ago today: A Real Pain In The Tooth

11 comments:

  1. The Wikipedia article on Laura Branigan has a whole section on this song becoming the Blues anthem. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Branigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't surprise me. Such a big deal back then.

      Delete
  2. I love anything involving swimming, or just being in the water. Hope you keep it up, enjoy the class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have to rearrange my schedule a little bit, but I'm definitely going to see if that's a possibility.

      Delete
  3. Water aerobics sounds fun and is a good workout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are enjoying the water aerobics and what a magical year it was when the Blues won the Cup. I love that story about how it became their theme song. If I remember right, they had beaten the Flyers in one of Binnington's first starts and that was a song playing at the bar they were at in Philly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of a hockey fan, but EVERYONE was in 2019

      Delete
  5. Water aerobics is good. I'm an expert at solo synchronised swimming.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete