Thursday, October 20, 2022

Break The Diet But Not The Bank

Tonight, after a healthy dinner (a soup of tom yum broth, napa cabbage, carrots, garbanzo beans, and brown rice with grapes for dessert) my stomach kept telling me it wasn't satisfied. I tried to ignore the messages, but when Hubby Tony said he was going to the grocery store for a couple of things I asked which one. 

One of the local chains (Schnucks) sells single slices of cake. That's where Tony was headed. I told him to bring me home the piece of cake with the most icing he could find, and he would get bonus points if it was an edge piece with swirly decorations on the side.

When Tony returned I rummaged through the bag as he hung up his jacket. He apologized that there were no edge pieces available, but thought that sprinkles would make up for it. I was impressed with both his choice and his shopping skills.


Five years ago today: Computer Generated Chirography

17 comments:

  1. Funny that you like the icing most!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always check the "reduced for quick sale" section also. And when you get something from that section home, you HAVE to eat it before it expires!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Tony retired I introduced him to the concept of checking the sale section of the grocery store. Now he looks every time he goes in to see if there's anything he needs.

      Delete
  3. I, too, sometimes NEED a bit of sweet after my meal. Yep, icing's the best part ... your hubby's a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the natural sugar of fruit is good enough. Sometimes it isn't.

      Delete
  4. Yum! Sometimes you just get a hankering! The icing is the best part!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great piece of cake! My wife's favorite is the corner piece also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake was everything I needed it to be :-)

      Delete
  6. We have a grocer here who sells cake squares, never that low of price, though. I always look for the freshest piece because I like my cake to taste like it was just baked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I perceive everything as costing a little bit more in California.

      Delete
  7. Sometimes you just gotta have a piece of cake, no need to deny it. I do sometimes buy the mini cupcakes, I love that they're pop in your mouth size but still satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. As long as most of my diet is healthy an unhealthy splurge won't derail anything.

      Delete
  8. I'm not surprised your tummy was sending you messages. What a wise Husband.

    ReplyDelete