Sunday, September 4, 2022

Team Over, Team Under, or Team Don't Care?

Toilet paper orientation. Which side are you on?

Earlier in the week I got around to a backlog of email messages. In an issue of The Ethel newsletter (for "women of a certain age") there was an article titled "Are You Hanging Your Toilet Paper Right? Here's Why it Matters". The author was a proponent of over orientation, and even pointed out that Seth Wheeler, the inventor of perforated rolls of paper, showed a "over" position in his patent diagram.

Google Patents

The over orientation also has scientific backing. In 2011 University of Colorado researchers determined that there are 19 different types of bacteria in public restrooms, and those bacteria are easily transferred to our fingers. If the end is hanging under the roll you're more likely to need your hands to fish for that end (and transfer bacteria to the roll in the process). A roll of TP with the end hanging over is easier to grab, and that portion you grab will be what ends up in the toilet after use.

However, if you've ever had a pet or toddler play with a hung roll of toilet paper you know that if the end is underneath it's a lot harder completely unravel it. The orientation also looks tidier because the loose end is neatly tucked away behind the roll.

Or, do you not have a opinion as long as there's something hanging on the holder?

Five years ago: The End Of Another Season

13 comments:

  1. I did it under naturally then a friend in College gave me the impression that over was the correct way so since then I have done it over. Now I notice my daughter does it under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like there's a lot of variety going on.

      Delete
  2. I'm under. My son is over. We're constantly switching the roll back and forth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny that you're having a friendly competition over toilet paper.

      Delete
  3. I've a photo of our cats doing that. Still, I like it over for the reason you suggested, I hate fishing for it in the night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Up until just a few years ago I just hung it whatever way it was facing when I put it on the holder. Since it's been so debated in social media and having it over seems to be the correct way, I have been putting it over ever since. Never knew or thought of the bacteria aspect of it though so that's good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a vertical stick type implement where you can store three or four rolls on top of each other. We use the TP from that and don't bother with a paper holder.

    Also, did you know that over here you can buy cheaper TP without the perforations? It's just one long roll of paper. If you wish, you can buy separately a packet of perforations and put them on the TP yourself.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your vertical holder sounds like a great solution!

      Delete
  6. I use the over orientation, but I won't be upset using it any way as long, as you said, it's there when I need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if someone who's not me remembers to replace the empty roll I'll be happy with whatever they do.

      Delete
  7. Anyone whose not me who remembers to replace the empty roll, I'm also happy with whatever they do... besides, I don't care, over, under or vertical, so long as it is there when I need it.

    ReplyDelete