Thursday, September 15, 2022

Good Grain!

 Every Thursday afternoon I get an email from the Asian market by my house that lists their specials for the next week, and scan through it to see what I might like to buy. Some of the items are familiar. Others I didn't used to know but are now favorites thanks to taking a try on them. Some exotic produce costs more than I want to pay. Some products (like meat offal) would never jump into my basket.

Last week's email contained a photo of a box about the size of a pound of pasta. The caption called it freekeh. Its price was right, so I wanted to know more. Google told me that freekeh is a grain that's popular in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines, made by smoking and removing the shells of green durum wheat grains that is a good source of fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals.

Freekeh sounded like something I wanted to try, and I added it to my list. The next day I drove to the store to pick up some produce and the aforesaid grain. I had to walk up and down a couple of aisles before I found what I was looking for, but that didn't bother me at all; I enjoy wandering around there.

It took several days, but I finally got around to experimenting with my new purchase. I decided to make a main dish cold salad. Four four servings I cooked one cup of dry freekeh, fluffed it with a fork, and let it cool. While it was cooking I chopped four medium tomatoes and a half cup of Italian parsley, and minced two big cloves of garlic. I also drained and rinsed 3 cups of black beans. 

I added all the ingredients to large bowl, added a couple of tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, and some salt/pepper to taste. After everything was combined I put it in the refrigerator for several hours.

Five years ago today: Travel Jewelry Roll

13 comments:

  1. This looks interesting. What number is it at McDonalds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It was a lovely. I would make it again, but only if I had good tomatoes. Otherwise I would improvise and come up with a similar but different dish.

      Delete
  3. I have been eating meals from many cuisines around the world and trying grains including freekah, by getting meal kits from Hello Fresh, etc. One thing I've learned is that cutting up a fresh date adds great flavor to meals like the one you made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you trying this new dish Kathy, let us know if you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love experimenting with new foods (although I did it more often before prices went through the roof. This dish sounds really interesting, and I can see from your response to the comments here that you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a price point I won't go over, and it's getting harder and harder to stay within it.

      Delete