Wednesday, May 11, 2022

At Rug Rat Speed

Son Brian and DIL Nicole were married in May 2010. Ten years later Hubby Tony and I were all ready to babysit for them so they could have a celebratory getaway. However, thanks to Covid that didn't happen.

Fast forward to January 2022. We're all vaxxed and boosted; Nicole asked if we would be willing to try again. Tony and I agreed. Since we would already be in California for that period, we added time with Son Tony and his family. Then we also tacked on a destination just for us. We booked flights and waited for the time to arrive.

After leaving Salt Lake City Hubby Tony and I flew into San Jose, where we picked up a rental car and headed over the Altamont Pass towards the Central Valley. For Part Two of our vacation we were staying at Son Tony's and DIL Ie's house. As much as I was looking forward to hanging out with them, I really was looking foreard to giving Granddaughters Evee and Gee big hugs.

Baby and toddler heaven

This leg of the trip couldn't have been more different than the first. In Salt Lake City my step counter recorded some of the highest numbers in months, and Tony and I got to do whatever we wanted when we wanted to. At this stop I struggled to get my minimum number of steps per day, and our schedule revolved around bottle feedings and nap times. We played, read books, and generally helped out wherever possible. Each day after lunch we took Gee to the park in her stroller. It was great fun to help her navigate the play structure.

We were there from Monday afternoon until Thursday morning. Wednesday night Son Tony brought home carryout food and a lovely cake for an early Mother's Day celebration.

It tasted as good as it looked!

Five years ago today: Solitude and Silence

8 comments:

  1. Isn't that fun! When we have our grandkids I find just keeping up with them is tiring! (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had so much more energy when I was the parent instead of the grandparent!

      Delete
  2. "my step counter recorded some of the highest numbers in months"
    Have you gotten it fixed yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get the harder it is to keep my weight where it needs to be (and avoid buying new clothes). In my mind, the more I walk the more extra calories I can consume :-)

      Delete