Thursday, May 11, 2017

Solitude and Silence

Monday morning before I woke up Hubby Tony left for a week-long work training class. It's been strange without him here, but I've been taking advantage of the strangeness.

Tony usually wakes up an hour or so before me and takes care of the cat's morning meal.  While he's gone I'm in charge (and the cats still expect to be fed at the same time), but I've figured out how to do the job and go back to sleep until the alarm goes off.  Each day I've left the house to run errands or go to the gym, but I've also taken advantage of the extra time to get some work done.  Right now I'm in the middle of a phone call project.  Each call (including preparation, the call itself, and documenting what was said) takes about an hour.  Usually one call a day is all I can fit in, but because my personal interaction obligations are minimal I've been completing two. 

Instead of stopping to fix dinner I can eat what I want, when I want to, where ever I want to. Monday night I bought a deli sandwich from the grocery store, brought it home, and ate it while I surfed the web. Tuesday I made a two-serving casserole, ate half of it while checking Facebook, and saved the rest for Wednesday.   Tonight I repeated the process with a soup and computer mahjong.

There is much less coffee being made and consumed each day.  With only one person in the house there has been minimal laundry to do and the few dirty dishes I make are easy to hand wash.  At night I get to decide what I'll watch on TV and what time I'll go to bed.  During the night I can stretch out into Tony's part of the bed (as long as I don't disturb Pepper the Cat, who always sleeps on that side).

Tony will get home tomorrow evening and things will go back to normal.   As much as I've enjoyed the 'me' time I can't wait.

Five years ago today: Wake Up Call?


  1. My cat expects to be taken care of first, after only my stop in the bathroom. He guides my ankles to his area. Then we're good for the day.

    1. Because the two cats eat in separate sections of the house I have a system. Feed one, then use the bathroom before going downstairs to take care of the other. That way the first one is done by time I get back and I can go straight to bed.