Sunday, February 9, 2020

Doing It Right

Last year was the first time I heard about National Pizza Day, but I enjoyed observing it. This year the event wasn't on my radar until I got an email from my gym promoting the 'holiday'. Since the message came from an organization that helps people get fit, it included a list entitled Six Ways to Order a Healthy Pizza. They were:
  1. Start with a salad
  2. Downsize your pizza
  3. Don't get it stuffed
  4. Thin over thick crust
  5. Veggie toppings
  6. Skip the dip
Coincidently, last night Hubby Tony and I ate at a local pizzeria for dinner. The restaurant had a special for Buy One, Get One Free medium-sized, two topping pies. We ordered one with green peppers and mushrooms, the second with tomatoes and onions, and added a house salad. When all was said and done we had eaten half of each pizza, and brought it home for lunch today.

Normally I warm pizza the quick and easy way in the microwave, which does the trick but makes the crust rubbery. In honor of Pizza Day, I thought I would take the time to properly reheat it. To find out the best way I turned to Google, which (surprisingly) did not give me a definitive answer. It seemed that the websites that advocated heating pizza in the oven were split between doing it low and slow (275 degrees for 30 minutes) or hot and fast (450 degrees for 10 minutes). Being impatient, I went with the second option. Following the directions I put a pizza pan in the oven when I turned it on, and when the oven came up to temp I slid the leftovers onto the hot pan and tossed it back in.

The pizza came out perfectly, with a crisp bottom and a chewy crust. Today we had a spinach salad to accompany the meal. When we were finished, there was nothing left.

Five years ago today: It Was A Great Day For A Parade

5 comments:

  1. Happy Pizza Day! I have two containers from Tupperware that were supposedly designed just for storing and reheating pizza, the reheating being done in the microwave. Each container can hold two slices. There are these large knobby bumps on the bottom that supposedly help with distributing the microwaves. They work so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea that a microwave pizza reheater existed. Thanks for the information.

      Delete
  2. I always have a well balanced diet. Pizza for starters, pizza for the main meal, and pizza for dessert.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete