Sunday, July 21, 2019

An Eco Experiment

Recently I had some carryout food that came packaged in in a compostable plastic bag (which was a new to me concept).
The Unni bag had a softer texture than a traditional bag. According to the company website it was made "from the starches of plants" and contained no polyethylene. In my research I learned that the product "Met stringent requirements of municipal composting programs and was also "certified by European OK Compost Home for disposal in home backyard compost settings".

I decided to see if the bag would indeed dispose of itself in my back yard. I cut it into small pieces and put it into my compost bin.


Each day I tossed coffee grounds, coffee filters, vegetable peelings, fruit waste, and egg shells on top of the pieces and didn't think too much about it. The weather was typical St. Louis hot and humid, which makes things break down quickly. I don't know if that skewed the results, but nine days later when I turned the pile there was no signs of the bag. So I'd call my experiment a success.

In the meantime I was at a restaurant where they stuck a compostable straw in my shake. I brought it home, and feel another experiment coming on...

Five years ago today: Never A Dull Day At The Mall

8 comments:

  1. Our supermarket has biodegradable plastic bags that decompose quickly in the wet. I filled my bags with shopping and as I got in the car park it started raining and all my shopping fell to he ground.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whole Foods has those bags in their produce section. I've used them for years. Same idea with their takeout boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. My shopping habits have changed over the years, and I don't get to Whole Foods as much as I used to.

      Delete
  3. We have citywide composting, but I recently discovered it doesn't take the compostable bags that I put my kitchen waste into. I guess all industrial composting is not alike. The company said to use paper bags or nothing. Can't figure out how paper won't fall apart, but I prefer it to nothing.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. My area doesn't collect organic materials other than yard waste, which must be put into a properly marked container (and not any type of bag). I agree with you that paper doesn't sound like the most effective material, but I guess you have to play by the company's rules.

      Delete