Saturday, July 6, 2019

Three Weeks In Grandma Heaven

Do you remember back in March when I told you that our family was going to grow by two this summer, and Hubby Tony and I got to be a part of it? Well, everything happened according to plan. Yesterday I returned home from the best-ever trip to California. My visit was divided into three distinct sections:

The first week I was there by myself. DIL Nicole had a planned delivery date, but everyone knows that babies are unpredictable. I was available just in case she went into labor early.  I helped take care of big brother-to-be Jay, spent a lot of time reading, tooled around the area on my own, and had time to buy cute things like this:


The next weekend Hubby Tony flew in. Together, we hung out with the family and were able to fit in a few adventures by ourselves before Nicole and Son Brian left for the hospital mid-week. While they were gone Tony and I made sure that Jay's schedule remained as normal as possible, including getting him to day care. The delivery went smoothly, and a little over twelve hours after Nicole entered the hospital these cuties came into the world:


After the babies came home Tony and I helped out wherever we could. That included straightening the house, running errands, some baby cuddling, and more toddler time. On July 4th we knew Jay's day care would be closed. The day before we made a trip to a dollar store to buy a day's worth of craft and activity supplies. 

Painting the wall with water
All good things must come to an end, and yesterday morning Brian and Jay took us to the airport and said goodbye. It was great to sleep in my own bed last night, but I'm already thinking about my next visit.

Five years ago today: Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

16 comments:

  1. Wow! Twins. I'm sure you're over the moon with all those grandma duties. Hope your kids have others who can step in and help after you went home. They certainly have their hands full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole's mom will be coming early next week, and staying for two weeks. Both of their employers have excellent paid parental leave benefits, so that will help. Past that, I think their plan is to hire a part-time helper to come in for several hours a day.

      Delete
  2. **** DARLING BABIES!!!!****
    I'm taking notes, because I'm doing the same thing next week!
    What a special time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm looking forward to YOUR grandma post!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the new addition! They are truly adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet babies. Good for them and good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to the whole family! You could have *cuteness overload* with those two precious babies. I bet you can hardly wait to go back. Hmm, your having Jay *paint* the house with water gives me an idea to do the same with our 3-year-old [step]granddaughter. Blessings to you, Kathy! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I worked with two year olds at a preschool one of their favorite warm-weather activities was to 'paint' outside. I hope your granddaughter has fun with it, too.

      Delete
  6. I am jealous! Nothing feels quite as good as a sleeping infant in your arms. The twins are beautiful. Takes me back to almost 43 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the power of a sleeping infant. And it was also nice. to hand them back when they dirtied their diaper.

      Delete
  7. Wow, that's beautiful, and quite an eventful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! They are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look like prince Archie!

    ReplyDelete