Monday, June 24, 2019

Puzzling Non-Parity

Today Hubby Tony and I were watching the USA/Spain FIFA Women's World Cup game. (Which the United States ended up winning 2-1).

The play by play announcing team did a good job, but I noticed that it was composed of one man and one woman. During halftime the studio commentator team had more females than males, but after the second half stated and they switched back to live action I began to ponder why the on-air team for a major woman's sports event couldn't be completely female.

The tournament has been held every four years since 1991. In more than two decades you'd think  there would have been one or two professional woman soccer players who were interested in performing at a professional level behind the microphone, too.


Five years ago today: Rain On Me

15 comments:

  1. Jerry and I don't watch sports at all (nor hardly any tv), so just wanted to stop in and say HI! for today! Hope you're having a trophy of a day! 😆 (Get it? Haha!) Blessings! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex is pretty much the host of all thing soccer.And Aly Wagner has done commentary for men's soccer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But isn't it time to boot the male announcers for a premiere women's event?

      Delete
  3. Why do we need commentators anyway? In football, wrestling, racing etc ... What do commentators add? Can you imagine someone following me all the time commentating on everything I do?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a matter of fact, yes I can imagine a commentator following you around. What an interesting post THAT would be!

      Delete
  4. I enjoy the Color Commentators more then the action ones, male or female.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't watch sports but I find women's soccer really entertaining should I stumble onto it and yes I'd rather watch women's soccer with women commentating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soccer (whether men's or women's) is such a fast-moving, enjoyable game.

      Delete
  6. On another note, I stumbled into a funny funny new show, maybe summer thing, Holy Moley, a spoofy hysterical miniature golf competition. Gawd its funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I understand your point, I see the other side too. I watch baseball and love how many women they now have as reporters for men's teams, so I feel as though it would be two faced of me not to celebrate men getting involved with understanding and calling women's sports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm....I guess I see your point, too. The thing is, that back when they started broadcasting the Women's World Cup games the entire announcing team was male. They've ALWAYS been involved.

      Delete