Wednesday, October 29, 2014

A Stroke Of Luck

For the past few weeks I've been trying to find the right accessories to put in our renovated master bathroom. There's a focus wall which needs some type of artwork, and two windows to be dressed.  The previous 'artwork' was material that I stretched and stapled over an artist's canvas stretcher frame.  The window valances were made from a remnant I found at the fabric store.  This time I was looking for something a little nicer.  (But cheap.  We wrote a very big check to have the room redone.)

I started with the artwork, the most difficult thing to find, browsing through thrift stores and consignment stores for just the right piece.  I found something that would look stunning, but was turned off by the $75 price tag.  Later that day I bought a pair of prints at Goodwill, but when I got them home I discovered they made the room too dark and they went back.

This morning it was time to try again.  When I left to run errands after breakfast I brought a piece of tile and a paint sample for color matching, and a tape measure for sizing.  My first stop was the St. Vincent de Paul store.  I had been there before, but they turn their things over quickly so I thought it was worth another try.

When I got there I saw a sign on the door that said all their artwork was 25% off today.  That made my find even sweeter:
Framed print, tablecloth, and flower pot with tile piece and paint sample
The frame is a little more gold than I'd like it to be, but the print is perfect and mat is just the right color.  After I grabbed the picture I started wandering around the store and found a tablecloth in the soft goods area.  It had all the same colors and would be big enough to make window valances.  The decorative silver flower pot will hide a less-than-perfect nursery pot for one of the plants overwintering in the room.

With the discount, all my goodies cost less than ten dollars.   Now that I've found the main pieces, everything else should fall into place and I'll be able to call the room done!

5 comments:

  1. yay! Accessorizing a room is my most favorite thing to do! Love the colors...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accessorizing is NOT one of my favorite things to do, but it's a necessary evil :-)

      Delete
  2. Well done! I think that those last finishing touches are the hardest part. Plus I'm terrible at placing accessories. When I'm through my shelves look a lot like the shelves at the Goodwill Store - just stuff on a shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not great at it either, but it helps that it's a smallish room, so there's not too much to do.

      Delete
  3. sounds like you had fun with it too! The art looks great, and matches perfectly.

    ReplyDelete