Thursday, January 30, 2014

Whoopee!

My church established a new Welcoming Committee a couple of months ago.  One of my friends is on the committee, and she invited me to join. Among other projects, the group will help maintain the front page of the parish website and publicize events on a newly-installed electronic bulletin board (AKA big-screen TV) in the church vestibule. 

Earlier this month I went to a meeting to learn more about the tasks.  At first we're focusing on publicity, using the TV to show a slide show of things happening each week.  Even though the little I've learned about computer artwork came from adding images to my blog, I volunteered to quarterback the job. 

Since this was a new task for me, there was a learning curve. My first practice attempts looked great on my computer monitor but too small on the TV.  When I tried to size them up they looked skewed.  I finally figured out the correct size for the background and learned how to add text.  It's still a cumbersome process, but every time I put a graphic together I get better.

After I figured out how to produce the graphics I had to learn how to transfer them from my computer to the big screen. We bought a new TV for our house a couple of months ago; I didn't realize it was 'smart' until someone showed me where to plug the jump drive (containing the files) in and how to access the contents of the drive on the screen.  I followed the same process at church.  The first time I saw one of my slides on the TV I have to admit I was really proud of myself.

TV screen shot

Five years ago today: Kind of Blue

7 comments:

  1. And so you should be! This is fantastic - I so get your excitement. I am learning so much with blogging and would be over the moon to be able to do what you can now do. Man alive - well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The longer you do it, the more you'll learn :-)

      Delete
  2. Woo hoo! I'm so happy for you! What a fabulous feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing feels better than conquering a task you weren't sure you could. I also continue to learn so much through blogging. Good for you for using the skills you've learned for the good of your parish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I subscribe to the theory that everything happens for a reason. Maybe I learned about computers just for this volunteer activity?

      Delete