Thursday, January 23, 2014

Back In Business!

It took 72 hours, three service calls, four different technicians (five if you count the one working remotely from the cable company office), and all new equipment, but our house has re-joined the digital world.

Last night I was thrilled to see the Internet access icon at the bottom of my computer monitor when I got home from work. I didn't realize until this week just how much I rely on it.  Of course I had trouble reading my emails and checking in on my bloggy friends, but the less obvious repercussions really surprised me:
  • I found out the newer versions of Microsoft programs assume you're online.  Tuesday I needed some clip art for a project I'm working on. Normally it takes just a couple of minutes to find something in Word. However, without the Internet there was no gallery of pictures to choose from.  To get what I needed proved to be a laborious process of using an ethernet cable and zip drive to transfer files from a laptop to my main computer. 
  • Then later in the project I had a question about the Paint program.  I tried using its 'Help' menu, only to find it had been moved online.
  • My cell phone's calendar doesn't have an option for manually syncing with the Outlook I use on my main desktop computer.  Everything is done through the cloud, and I had no Cloud.
Five years ago today: Makes Scents

7 comments:

  1. Oh man. I hate those days. I am glad to see you are back and running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been suspicious of that cloud since it first came round. Glad you're back on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, everyone, for the kind comments...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid technology is moving so quickly that it's impossible for me to keep up. I can't get my iPhone cloud to sync with my PC. Sigh. It's awful when we lose connection. I've come to depend on the Internet too. I'm glad things are working for you now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like there are A LOT of people who'd be lost without the Internet :-)

      Delete