Sunday, August 18, 2013

Teen-Aged

The other day I was at the grocery store picking up a couple of things, one of which was a bag of fresh spinach to replace the one I'd taken from Son Donald's refrigerator shelf.  I usually get my bagged spinach at Aldi, where there's one brand and two choices-take it or leave it.  However, this store had an overwhelming selection of alternatives.  Did I want a bag (multiple sizes) or a clamshell? Organic or conventional?  What brand?

I visualized the label of the bag I'd used.  The ones that were displayed on the eye-level shelf weren't right--they weren't big enough, or mixed with other greens.  I found what I was looking for tucked away on the bottom shelf.  It was a 9 ounce bag with the word SPINACH predominantly printed on the cellophane.  I checked the shelf price tag to see how much I'd be paying for it, and was startled to read I was getting something called "teenage spinach".
.
WHAT?!?  I'd never heard of teenage spinach.  Is it impulsive and hormonal?  Does it sleep all day and prefer to hang out with its friends?  

Of course not; it's just a categorizing term.  Spinach is typed according to how long it's grown before harvest.  Baby spinach has small leaves that are picked early (usually about a third of the time it takes to mature).  Teen spinach grows a little longer and has larger leaves.

Still, the idea of impulsive, hormonal greens makes me smile. 

Five years ago today: New Thing #220--Electronic

9 comments:

  1. hilarious! I bet if you asked what it's doing, it would answer, "Nothing." lol....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a new term for me too, so the regular spinach is adult spinach? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I've never heard of such a thing. I guess they wouldn't advertise senior spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you learn something new every day...

    ReplyDelete