Thursday, January 12, 2012

I Guess This Is What Adults Do

I went to bed last night knowing that a cold front and precipitation were coming through the area.  At some point in the middle of the night the temperature fell below freezing, and it started snowing. The first thing I did when I woke up today was look out the bedroom window.  There wasn’t a lot of snow on the ground (I could still see some grass peeking though when I looked out my window), but I knew that it would be enough to make my drive to work a mess.

In our area it doesn’t take much white stuff to send people into a tizzy.  I think part of the problem is that we don’t have much chance to practice; we only have to deal with bad weather a couple of times a year.  I’ve been dreading this day since I started my job at a mall Customer Service desk across town.  For more than a decade I’ve been blessed to have jobs close to my house, and for the past six years, I had jobs in education, which meant snow days when things got really bad.

However, there’d be no time off for me today.  After breakfast I didn’t stop to read email or check on any of my friends in cyberspace.  Instead, I threw together a lunch, put on my work clothes, and left the house. I’m scheduled to be there at 9:30 to do things before the mall officially opens at 10.  Since it’s after rush hour my commute only takes 25 minutes, but I allow 45 in case there’s a problem.  Today I gave myself an extra hour. I brought the newspaper, because I figured I was being paranoid and would have time to kill when I arrived much too early.

Getting through the subdivision streets wasn’t a problem, and I really started second guessing my decision.  Then I got to the main street. I was on Highway 141 (a state road with several stoplights) for six miles—and 45 minutes.  I thought it would get better when I got on the Interstate.  I thought wrong; that eight miles of inching along took me almost another hour.  At 9:20 I called my boss and told him I’d be late.  I got off the Interstate one exit earlier than I normally do, took side streets the rest of the way, and was so glad to see the sign for the mall!  I clocked in at 9:40 and had just enough time to use set everything up and use the restroom before all the stores opened.

I get off at 2:00 this afternoon. I really hope the roads are better by then!

9 comments:

  1. Sis Facebooked me this morning saying they were out of school in Jefferson Co with the snow. Here in TN, they've canceled out school and it is not snowing yet!

    Oh well, I just hope my drive to MO tomorrow isn't too interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we got some snow today too, must remember to wear boots, it was a bit slippery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK...it's 8:24PM...hope you've made it home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wind is the big problem over here. The wrecker has been busy all day on the interstate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make it home OK? Sounds nasty up there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A tizzy is putting the mess this morning nicely!

    Glad you made it ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be safe, Kathy. I remember what a hazard it was to drive on the snow. I noticed that Chicago is getting some real snow now too. I miss seeing snow, but not when you're driving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, the snow sure backed up your commute but it's a good thing people are slowing down... mind you they sound like they were almost going backwards. It's a good thing you left as early as you did, can you just imagine how late you would have been if you left any later?

    Take care and drive safe! Have a great weekend, snow and all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That's a really slow drive.

    We got snow here Thursday afternoon and all day Friday. There were the usual minor accidents, but traffic wasn't overly bad. Of course, it only takes one bad accident to really mess up traffic patterns.

    ReplyDelete