Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Search Is Over

When I closed my tutoring center last year I decided my ideal job would be working with teenagers in the education field. However, that's not panned out. I've filled out some applications for administrative assistant positions, but got no nibbles there either.

A couple of weeks ago a friend gave me a lead. The preschool she works at was looking to fill a teacher assistant position. Preschoolers are about as far from teenagers as you could get, so at first glance the job wasn't a good fit. However, the more I thought about it the more intriguing it sounded. The school is inclusion based; it enrolls children with and without special needs. I have the necessary certifications to work with both types of children, and it would be a professional challenge. I sent my resume off and hoped for the best. I had an interview for this morning, and came out with a job!

The facility operates year round, with the new year (and my position) starting in July. Although I'll be working more hours than I did at the last job, it's still less than full-time, and only a four day work week. The biggest difference will be in the hours of the day; instead of working completely in the afternoon, I'll leave the house right after breakfast and return mid afternoon.

I guess I'll be spending the rest of the month brushing up on my cutting, singing, and reading out loud skills.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Some of my most rewarding moments came when I worked with a few special needs kids in an inclusion classroom. Teenagers are great, but so are the little ones. I'm sure you'll have some great stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! It's tough to find something ideal, especially these days. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I've pretty much given up on ever finding any sort of job. However, I will leave my complaining to my own blog.

    Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo gratifying to work with kids!
    Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you. I'm sure you'll do a great job with the little ones. Remember, those big kids were just little kids in big bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I used to volunteer with 12-15 year old girls, and this past year I moved down to working with 5 & 6 year olds. It was a big adjustment (mostly due to the fact that you can't expect them do something on their own for a couple of minutes while you set up something else) but is rewarding in its own way. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete