When I opened the desk today I noticed we had a voice mail. However, every time I tried to access it the phone went directly to speakerphone. I tried pressing different buttons to fix the problem, but had no luck. Eventually I found notes my coworker left from yesterday where he mentioned having the same problem. I called the mall office to inform them of the situation, then considered how I was going to handle the incoming calls.
This is what I figured out. To answer a call:
- Take the phone off the shelf and set it on the counter top.
- Remove the handset and place it on the counter next to the phone.
- Push the button to activate the speaker. Start talking.
- Lean over so your face hovers a foot above the speaker because you can't hear anything above the sound of the mall music. Talk extra loudly because you assume they can't hear you, either.
- Hope that another customer doesn't come up to the desk to ask a question, because they can hear everything that's being said.
- To finish remember that hanging up the handset doesn't work. You have to use the speaker button.
Five years ago today: New Thing #312--Neighborly