Friday, January 11, 2013

Where Does The Time Go?


Today I'm celebrating two things: the day of my birth, and my five-year blogging anniversary.  I wrote a few posts documenting the run-up to my "Thing A Day" project before I turned 49, but January 11, 2008 was the first official day.

In honor of my birthday some of the restaurants and businesses in the area are lining up to help me celebrate by offering some type of freebie or discount.  The offers started rolling in by email and snail mail shortly after Christmas. I've made a pile of paper coupons on the countertop in the kitchen, and another virtual pile on my phone.

As in years past, there are a lot of food options: three casual dining restaurant chains, three local Italian restaurants, one local fast food spot, and two ice cream places. I could eat out every day for more than a week!  In addition, I've gotten offers from a mall department store, a chain shoe store, two cosmetic stores, a local pharmacy, and a local franchise of a national tire store.

After all the holiday excesses, though, I'm not in the mood for a eating lot of rich food or spending a lot of money, so I'll pick and choose which ones to redeem.  A few of the offers expire on my big day, but I have 30 days after my birthday to use the others.

I'm going to enjoy each and every one that does get used, though.  This day only comes around once a year.

Five years ago today--Happy Birthday To Me


11 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!

    What a fun way to stretch out the celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and now that the boys don't live at home I'll have a min-celebration each time one of them comes by the house!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday and Blogiversary!!! I am inundated with coupons myself, happy to report I used a buy one get one free coffee today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting something for free is ALWAYS appreciated.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Kathy!!! Hope you had a fabulous day!!

    Now you've got me curious... how'd you get all the BD bargains??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The emailed ones came from companies whose loyalty programs I belong to. The paper ones for local companies show up in the mailbox every year (for my birthday and again for Tony's later in the year) from some unknown company...there's no identifying information anywhere on the envelope or on the coupons.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday! Wow, five years. It's hard to believe it's been that long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I think you even started your project a little ahead of me.

      Delete
  5. I hope you enjoyed your day! I get those coupoins, too, but I don't live close enough to take advantage of them. Has it really been 5 years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe they'd send you coupons for places in St. Louis. (I could see Warrenton, maybe, or Columbia.)

      Delete
  6. Happy belated Birthday Kathy. I hope you celebrated well.

    ReplyDelete