Monday, January 28, 2013

Doing Wrong

Yesterday a group I belong to at church hosted our annual parish Chili Supper, an all-you-can-eat extravaganza of chili, chili mac, and hot dogs with or without chili. (We aim to please!)

The Chili committee cooked the food in the school cafeteria.  They handed out a recipe for cornbread and asked each member to bring a pan and a finger-food dessert of their choice.  During the event volunteers cut the cornbread and wrapped it for serving at the main line, and the people at the dessert table set out portions as needed.  A third station offered drinks.

On Saturday I baked my cornbread in a disposable aluminum pan. After it cooled I covered the pan with plastic, protected it with a large baking rack, and set it on top of the refrigerator. Yesterday after church I made carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Shortly before it was time to leave for my work shift I decided to move both cooking projects to the car so I wouldn't forget anything.

When I took the cornbread down, this is what I saw:


The picture doesn't do the damage justice; the hole was about an inch deep!  There were only two names on the list of suspects-Jackson and Pepper, the cats.  One of them got to the top of the refrigerator (probably from the counter) and then nudged the baking rack out of the way to have a cornbread feast.  Neither would confess to the wrongdoing. 

I brought the pan with me but left it in the car, figuring if the kitchen started running low on cornbread we could cut away the ruined part and serve the rest.  Fortunately there was plenty; as a matter of fact there were a couple of pans that weren't even used.

Five years ago today: New Thing #17--Fun with Soap

10 comments:

  1. haha...that would have happened at my house, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you'd have an even HARDER time pinning down the culprit!

      Delete
  2. How interesting they would try cornbread. Hope they're not too constipated today! Or will it be the other way around....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats do love cornbread. Corn is a favorite with all of them, it seems.

      Delete
    2. I haven't noticed any symptoms one way or the other--thank goodness.

      Delete
  3. Reminds me of the story my in-laws would tell about leaving the frozen turkey on the patio overnight to thaw. The cats too got into the wrapping and nibbled on the bird as it was thawing. They figured baking it in a hot oven would kill all the germs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure after baking for hours the turkey was completely safe.

      Delete
  4. Piran has it right in my house, he manages to get food out of the cupboard and the two dogs help him eat the feast... of course the evidence is unclear, only that the dogs always look guilty and he of course looks like a little angel. I have taken to childproofing cabinets, using the microwave as a safe storage area for cooling down food and plastic containers with lids... things we do for our pets lol.

    PS have never tried cornbread, could you please post a recipe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're using the microwave a lot too :-)

      Look for a cornbread post in the next couple of days.

      Delete
  5. Hmmmm... you're making me want to make some cornbread too! I don't have any cats around. :-)

    ReplyDelete