Friday, January 28, 2011

Handsfree

Back before Christmas my chiropractor sent me a coupon for a hydromassage for "Liking" them on Facebook. In an effort to clean the house before the holidays I stuck the coupon in my January tickler folder. When January came I took it out, then misplaced it in a stack of papers on my desk. I found the coupon again earlier in the week, and today I redeemed it.

I didn't even know what a hydromassage was, so I had no idea what to expect. The receptionist led me to the back of the office, where a corner of the room was blocked off with sheer curtains. Behind the curtains was a tall table covered with a sheet. Half of the table was firm, but the other half jiggled like a water bed. She instructed me to lie face up on the table with my head at the water-filled end. When I was settled she pushed a button; water jets inside turned on and the table began to get warm. After adjusting the strength of the jets, she left.

I was in heaven! I think the best part of using a hot tub is the pressure of the water jets against my back. That's what the table felt like, except the jets covered my entire back at once! They rotated and pulsed up and down. They were quite loud, but after a couple of minutes it became a nice white noise which drowned out the other office sounds.

 For a long time I lay flat with my arms at my side and let the jets do their thing, but .eventually I discovered that by moving around I could target different parts of my body. Putting my arms above my head sent water pulsing against my upper shoulders. Putting my feet flat on the table with my knees bent moved the pressure directly on my lower back.

 Way too soon the jets stopped and the table got cool.  My time was up. I gathered my things and left.

There were two minor issues with today's hydromassage experience. First, after a half hour of laying face up on a warm, moist surface the hair at the nape of my neck had developed a bit of a cowlick. That was easily solved with a spritz of water and a comb. The second? It's hard to jump back into my To Do list because I'm so relaxed!

4 comments:

  1. Ooooooohhhhhh... That sounds wonderful! I've never experienced anything like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss my hot tub I left in Minnesota. Nothing so relaxing as the hot water and jets. I really miss that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds amazing! Now I'm going to have to check it out if I can find one here. Ahhhh, I can feel it now! lol Good for you to take a relaxing break, we all deserve them every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I've never heard of that before, but it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete