Monday, February 14, 2022

Flora Afoot

Today was the first Valentine's Day we've celebrated since Hubby Tony retired. He has a standing Monday night meeting that he told me he would be happy to miss, but I told him that since he didn't have to work we could do our celebrating during the day. In the morning we took care of some individual business, but met up mid-morning for a lunch date.

This year we had agreed to pass on presents. I already don't use most of the jewelry I have and it seems wasteful to get more. Over the weekend we brought a box of chocolates to an event, and enough of it came home to cover the Valentine's candy needs. And as much as I adore flowers, in my opinion the quality isn't great on the holiday; I would rather have my bouquet on February 16th or 17th.

Before heading to the restaurant we had decided to find a different neighborhood to walk in. Tony did some research and found a subdivision that had streets named after flowers. As we strolled down Tulip, Azalea, Columbine, Violet, Camellia, and Honeysuckle we agreed that this was the best type of Valentine's flowers.

15 comments:

  1. I baked a couple of loaves of English Muffin Bread that my wife can't live without. She came in when they were nearly done to comment on the aroma filling the house and said that was the best Valentine's present she could have got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I haven't had English Muffin Bread in a long time.

      Delete
  2. Be careful not to be singled out as porch pirates. If you see packages on a porch, look the other way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This subdivision had no sidewalks, so we walked on the street and didn't get close to any houses. I think we're good.

      Delete
  3. Interesting how they name various streets. Here too we have districts where all the streets are named after birds, hills, rivers, or poets.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am waiting for the next warm day to take a stroll here ... through the woods. We may have found our new favorite restaurant last night. Rib Country was reasonably priced with wonderful food and good service, making a nice ending to a tedious day of shifting boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is lovely! I have to take a stroll today, but snowshoes are required!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never used snowshoes, and would probably end up face down in the snow.

      Delete
  6. That was a great Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those street names. But I also love getting flowers, any and every day works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a problem with the cats jumping up and eating on flowers, and had to cut back on bouquets. That's not an issue any more, though.

      Delete