Just in time for prime eating season I took a quiz about peaches. I thought I knew a lot about the fruit, but it turns out I was far from an expert on them.
The things I learned:
- Mealy peaches were refrigerated before they were fully ripe.
- A deep blush is NOT a sign of a ripe peach. It's a fruit that has a creamy yellow background color.
- If a peach is still slightly green, it will ripen if you leave it at room temperature for a couple of days.
- Most peaches in the USA come from California (not Georgia, which is called the Peach State)
- Research has found that compounds in peaches inhibit the growth of breast cancer.
- Peach pits helped save the lives of soldiers during World War I. They used them to make activated charcoal for gas masks.