Saturday, November 14, 2020

Why Didn't I Think Of This Before?

Hubby Tony and I are trying to distance ourselves from the ever-expanding COVID infections in our area, so we decided to 'attend' Mass virtually tonight. 

Back when we used to participate virtually on a regular basis, the biggest issue was getting the angle of the laptop screen correct....and then adjusting it again each time we stood up, sat down, or knelt. Ten minutes before the livestream was going to start I had a brainstorm. There was an HDMI cable in my office left over from another project. Would it work to connect the laptop to the TV in the living room?

It only took a couple of minutes to figure out that the answer to my question was yes. When pulled up the church's website there was a message saying the stream would start in five minutes. I used that time to check out the volume level, clear up some clutter that was in my field of vision, and meditate. 

The Mass started right on time. It was so nice to be able to watch on a large (40 inch) screen instead of a tiny (14 inch) computer screen. I almost felt like I was there in person.

Five years ago today: Good Enough!

11 comments:

  1. Great idea! Glad you discovered a doable solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did that too; but got annoyed when a man came out of the screen with the collection plate!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry has three screens going, catching the attendees on the three various platforms our church broadcasts, as he has to report Sunday attendance in his clerk's report. He keeps the sound off except for one. I sit in the room and listen, occasionally looking at the screen to see who is talking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! I did my first zoom meeting, just watched since I don't have a microphone or camera on my PC and I can't see my phone well enough (too small). It was fun to watch the baby shower, my nephew and his wife, since I never see them, but some of the feeds were so much better than others. His wife's parents live in Brazil and their feed was perfect and clear, while the one coming from their place in southern Oregon was murky and sometimes vanished. I'm not sure why that is. I have no further plans to see any meetings online, but that was kind of interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both Tony and I have weekly meetings that quickly converted to Zoom. Fortunately my laptop has both a camera and a microphone, and I quickly figured the whole thing out.

      Delete
  5. I agree! You are brilliant! That is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete