Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Leaf Walking

Last week I stepped outside to get the newspaper and noticed that the pots of annuals outside the front door were a mass of drooping stems and wilted leaves, signs that we had the first hard frost of the season. But then the temperatures popped back up for Second Summer, with balmy daytime temperatures and less than frigid overnights.

I know the beautiful weather won't last long, so I've been trying to take advantage of it. This morning I incorporated a walk along with my errands, and after Hubby Tony finished work today I took another walk with him through the neighborhood.

The established neighborhood we live in has large, mature trees. There are enough sidewalks with substantial lifted edges that I pay more attention to where I'm walking (so I don't trip) than I do looking up into the tree canopies. Now that the leaves have fallen on the ground, though, they reveal the types of trees I'm going past.

Many of the sidewalks had dead leaves piled along the sides. In a few places the leaves covered the entire sidewalk. Those fallen leaves are an invitation to crunch through them, one of my favorite things to do at this time of the year. I zigzagged from one pile to the next, trying to make it through as many as possible.

Five years ago today: Mower Movement

9 comments:

  1. Yes lots of leaves, lucky you, no raking this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had beautiful weather this week too, although I hear we only have one or two more days of it. Enjoy your walks while you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a good chunk of the Midwest is in the same weather pattern. My app says warm and sunny until Monday, then a change to more normal after that.

      Delete
  3. We've not had too bad of weather. We had a lot of rain Thursday and next week is to be very wet with mountain snow. I love leaves too and kicking through them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be sad when the weather goes back to normal.

      Delete
  4. Oh gee... I remember those fun days in Illinois. Not much change here in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love walks in the leaves this time of year! I usually pick several up along the way for decorating the table -- without the bugs though lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, since we've had a killing frost there aren't too many bugs left, but I know what you mean. Nothing's worse than bringing critters into the house.

      Delete