Saturday, January 11, 2020

I Get It Now

For more than a decade I have been working my way through a daily meditation reader. Each year when I get to the January 11th page I read a vignette about a disagreeable woman who wears a "lugubrious" expression. I didn't know the exact definition of the word (but could figure it out through context) and had no idea of how to pronounce it.

Today, instead of just skipping over it, I decided to look the word up. Dictionary.com told me the word was an adjective that meant mournful, dismal, or gloomy, especially in an affected, exaggerated, or unrelieved manner. It also offered the pronunciation lu·gu·bri·ous, and told me that similar words would be mournful, sorrowful, bleak, gloomy, pensive, sad, depressing, dismal, doleful, dour, funeral, morose, woebegone, woeful.

Five years ago today: Take Note

9 comments:

  1. Great word, it says a lot now that you explained its meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. No, my yearly reading of the meditation is the ONLY time I run into it.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing the information. I probably will not have an opportunity to use that word though ...too "un-dellgirl-ish".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not in my regular vocabulary either :-)

      Delete
  4. I don't think I had ever heard the word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I now feel very lugubrious. In fact I am lugubriously lugubrious. My lugubriousness exceeds any other lugubriousness that can ever be experienced by a lugubrious person. I am also sad.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete