Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Digital Dactylogram

Eleven months ago I applied to be a temporary worker for the 2020 Census Bureau. Since then, I've gotten an email every couple of months assuring me they hadn't forgotten about me and would be hiring down the road.

Last Friday morning I got a call from the local Census office. I didn't answer because I didn't recognize the number, so it went into voice mail.  Five minutes later when I called back, the person wasn't at his desk. I left a message for him, then saved the number in my phone.

Five hours later the number popped up on my Caller ID. When I answered I found myself talking to a woman. She asked me if I was still interested in working for the Bureau, and I answered affirmatively. She told me more about the job. At the end of the call we agreed I would be a fine Enumerator. An offer was made and I accepted. Ten minutes later I had an email with information about making an appointment to get fingerprinted and have my photo taken for my badge.

I had seven days to get the job done. But then I had my finger issue, and wondered how that would impact things. The office was closed on Monday for Dr. King day, I called yesterday and explained the situation to the person who answered the phone. He said it shouldn't be a big deal, so I went ahead and made an appointment for today.

It was a bit of a challenge finding the official Proof of Identity papers. Our new condo is still in a bit of a shambles, but I eventually gathered my passport and birth certificate. The office supply store that was authorized to fingerprint was twenty minutes away from my house. I walked in ready to argue about my finger issues if they told me they couldn't complete the task, but there were no issues at all. Everything was done electronically. I had to put my right fingers on the scanner, then my left fingers, then both thumbs (then repeat the process a second time) and smile for the camera. I was finished and out of the store fifteen minutes after I walked in.

This afternoon I received another email telling me I passed the background check. The message included a pile of paper to fill out and sign electronically. I will eventually get more correspondence about job training.

Five years ago today: The Rub-Down

13 comments:

  1. I’m sure you’ll enjoy the job, Kathy. My husband did the census when he retired and enjoyed getting to know some people in the community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the job ten years ago and enjoyed it. The Bureau's policy is to assign people close to where they live, so I suspect I'll be working with people in my new neighborhood. Although I'm very familiar with the major streets around here, maybe doing the job will help me learn about the smaller one.s

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great job, good exercise, meet lots of people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear that there is a background check. I've been wondering about WHO these enumerators would be, or could be. Sounds like they are trying to keep it legit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only was I background checked and fingerprinted, I had to sign an agreement that I would hold all information I gathered confidential. Ten years ago we had to recite an Oath of Office during our training, and I have no doubt we'll do the same again this year.

      Delete
  4. The first census was held by King Herod all those years ago. When he found out how many people lived in his kingdom he was frightened out of his census!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Kathy. Keeping fingers crossed that all continues to go well for you. Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to hear about it once you start. I thought about doing it too, but I was afraid that after going through all of the trouble of applying and training, they'd try to send me to a part of town where I didn't feel safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I don't think it's too late to apply. Enumerators get paid for mileage, so the Bureau has a vested interest in keeping them close to where they live. Ten years ago I was offered a chance to move to another area after mine was finished, but had the option to say no.

      Delete